24 June 2006

Beginnings...

And so it begins.

This is my second attempt at a blog.

The first one was slated to chronicle the trials and tribulations of relocating from my life-long home of Texas to the East Coast ... However, there really wasn't much to tell since:
A) I don't spend much time in the new digs on the East Coast
and
B) when I am there, I don't do a whole hell of a lot ... I'm a bit of a hermit these days.

Today finds me in a personal and professional Limbo or Purgatory, hence the references to the Dark Wood and the River Acheron in Dante's Inferno ...
Me: disoriented spiritually, physically, psychologically, morally, politically ...
My Life: chaotic, unformed matter, essentially a type of primordial wood ...
My Card: American Express :-)
(kidding ...)


Me:
I went about things a little backwards, as is my usual life M.O. While friends were away in academia-land pursuing their degrees that hopefully answer the question "What do I wanna be when I grow up?", I left college, landed a random gig as an admin in the telecom industry, then subsequently managed to fall into a series of sales, marketing, and eventually project management gigs in the telecom / contact center industry, selling and mortgaging my soul along the way.

Player's Career Stats:
29 years old
College drop out
Still a declared English Lit major at Richland College (Go Fighting Thunderducks!)
11 years in the industry
5 companies
Quadrupled salary
Landed, and subsequently gave up a VP title

Not bad, eh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining ...

So, with all of that, why this sense of chaotic disoriented?

My life at the moment:
For the first time EVER in my career, I have accomplished nothing. I stepped into a role where I was finding my legs, in a company still trying to find its legs (Start-up, venture-capital funded, "bleeding-edge" "nice-to-have" software functionally targeted to the red-headed stepchild Training organization in contact centers ... need I say more? It's pretty f-ing volatile.)

I
n my opinion, we failed each other, and still are. And like a failing marriage, we find ourselves in Limbo together, each trying to figure out if we want to pursue this relationship long-term or not.

Add to that, an ever-encroaching "0"-ending birthday, and the life re-assessment that comes with it:
Who am I?
What the F do I want to do with the rest of my life?


Friends, family, colleagues, random strangers all say "You're so young, you have plenty of time!"

Do I really, though?

Then again, if my flight home tomorrow crashes, does it even matter?


Hence, Limbo ... Hence, Purgatory, hence, the Dark Wood that is my life at the moment.

So is this blog a self-absorbed neurotic observation / rant / whine about my life and the world in general?
Likely.
Do I really care?
No.

Here's hoping the irascible Charon accepts my pleas for safe navigation across the River Acheron into the lower world.

And so it goes ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

There're two scenes from "A Room with a View" that I remember. The second one is when the pastey white fat hairy naked guys are fleeing from a bathing hole. The first one is near the beginning, when the gal has just switched rooms with the guy, and after enjoying the view she notices that there's a picture frame with a large question mark drawn on it hanging prominently on the wall. (The guy suddenly enters the room, no knock, freezes upon seeing her but doesn't say anything, quickly turns the picture frame back around with embarassment and leaves.) "?"

So maybe this is your "?" blog.

My experience with authoring red on black blogs is that they don't last.. the questions get answered, and the blogs deleted. But for now, please know that at least one of your peeps is reading what's on your mind.. peace out homie

12:20 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Ru said...

and i will follow you faithfully as you wander the dusk-lit paths! i will also link to your blog from mine - because so many things in the past 25 years have flowed back and forth from you to me!

10:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home