18 August 2006

A Moment of Peace In Purgatory

While I'm certain none of you are hanging by the edges of your seats going "Did they get paid?" "Did they go belly up?" "Did another Dear Sweet Landlord die?", I figured it was time for an update.

It's a gorgeous day here on the eastern seaboard. The temperature is just perfect, the golfers are out en masse, and there's no shortage of birds, squirrels and flying stinging creatures to observe and enjoy. Perfect afternoon for working and blogging on the back balcony, listening to Jazz. It's days like today when I really enjoy having moved here, especially when it's still 106 back home. Perhaps I'll change my tune when Winter arrives, and it's still 70-something back home.

Yes, we did finally get paid, and are waiting for the current paycheck to arrive today.
Not sure how to answer if we've gone belly up ... we're "restructuring", which is normally a very positive thing in most organizations. It demonstrates that the business leadership recognizes there are issues, and addresses them accordingly in order to get to a more positive place as a company, whether that means reducing cost, or getting to a more cash-positive place. In our case, it was a rather reactionary move that should have been done weeks ago, and as a result, we lost more morale than headcount.

The previously mentioned UCM is seriously in charge now. Funny how instead of completely freaking out about something (ok, I still have moments here and there), and instead relax, relying on faith and confidence in yourself (that's all you really can rely on, isn't it?), as a result you manage to see things so clearly that you struggled so hard to see before. When the signs started showing themselves, this is exactly how I predicted things would go. I won't make a call on whether or not I see a positive outcome ... that definition is different for everyone, and all I know is, for ME, there will be a positive outcome. As a dear sweet friend reminded me not too long ago: land on your feet, swish your tail, and find yourself better off.

Every situation and opportunity is what you make of it, no?

In the meantime, thanks to the guidance and advice of some very dear friends and colleagues, I'm being courted by a couple of organizations that I'm very excited about.

Interviewing is a lot like dating, minus the sex. You dress up, put on your best face, try to say and do all the right things that edge you in front of the other candidates, while somehow managing to be true to yourself.

It was refreshing to speak to a corporate recruiter yesterday who didn't appear to be phased when I stopped in the middle of providing an example of how my time-management skills benefitted me in a major project and said, "You know, I just don't feel like I'm addressing this quite right." By the end of our call, he was enthusiastically recommending me for the position, following up in email afterward with an application to complete and return, and an offer to buy me a coffee when I [hopefully] come in to interview soon.

Today, I spoke with the hiring manager for a position that looked great on paper, but when it came down to the nitty gritty, it wasn't that great of a fit for me. Add on top of that, there wasn't much "chemistry" between me and the hiring manager. Fortunately, unlike the majority of the few dates I've been on in 2006, I wasn't left wondering if I could get that last 90 minutes of my life back.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying a rather peaceful period during the overall chaos, avoiding cleaning the house, fighting off a moment of irascible restlessness, while pondering what to do for dinner.

Overall status: A-OK

1 Comments:

Blogger Ru said...

good things to hear!
good things to hear!

all is well in the gwn. got haircuts. got a package from sarah and jay. ate indian food - tasty!

love you, man!

7:58 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home