08 August 2006

The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

It's funny how your professional relationships occassionally mirror your personal relationships.

Admittedly, I have a long history of not ending relationships very well. They drag on in limbo, neither person willing to step up and say goodbye, either because you're too lame to do so or you're still clinging to some thread of hope that it'll work out.

To my own credit, I think I'm getting [marginally] better at it.

The last 60 days, especially the last 6, at work have left me with this all too familiar sensation.

Funny how quickly things change ... about a week ago, I was seeing the hopeful ray of light that things just might be ok following a rather positive review from my manager, and subsequent assignment to a new position.

Apparently that ray of light is a slow train coming to a halt, but not before it smushes you to little bits on the track.

It's taken me 4 days to draft this post. Every time I get into it, someone walks by, or I just get frustrated and leave it as a draft.

We're officially a week unpaid now. Layoffs are imminent, the finalization of which will determine our investors releasing the last bit of funding necessary to complete the overdue payroll cycle. No word on the status of the next pay cycle (that will cover the current period), or the thousands of dollars outstanding in expenses, etc owed to the employees.

In the meantime, our "leader" has virtually dropped off the face of the earth, for various reasons (some of which are understandable, really), leaving us rudderless than ever as an organization, and literally inciting the most interesting version of Corporate Survivor that I've ever experienced.

Ever the Ultimate Con Man (known here as UCM), our Sales VP, with whom I have a long and checkered history, is finally seeing the fruition of his patience and efforts over the last year or so, and is seemingly successfully making his play to take over the company. While it may not immediately be the financial payout he was expecting, but it's certainly the power play he's been hoping and dreaming of.

Nausea, futher disappointment, and a surprising dose of amusement ensues.

In the meantime, the remainder of the management team is working out the headcount restructuring plan for their teams, though UCM seems to have it all worked out in a tidy little 9 slide PowerPoint presentation he's already been shopping to the board and various investors.

Well played!

As for me, my VP, whom I was not too kind to in earlier posts, and with whom I kinda side, was kind enough to encourage me to stay home and "work" from here today, in lieu of another day of Purgatory torture in the HQ office. The cat has certainly enjoyed my presence at the house, again obvlivious to the fact that all those long hours and even weeks I spend at work, are all so that her human can continue to mortgage her soul to the corporate machine in order to ensure a roof over the cat's head, food in her bowl, scratchy boxes and catnip toys at her disposal, et al. Truly, it's all about the cat. Though at this point, I'm near the point of strapping a little hobo pack and a sign saying "will purr for food" to her, and stationing her down at the local train station with the droves of day laborers.

So kids, no news is ... well, just that, no f-ing news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home